Automated gravimetric solvent dispensing is a more accurate and efficient method of preparing standards or samples in an analytical laboratory compared to volumetric measurements.
Accurate preparation of samples and standards is a fundamental starting point for any analysis in analytical, quality control or testing labs in pharmaceutical, chemical or food industry sectors, to name a few.
To achieve this, a sample or standard must be accurately weighed on an appropriate balance. The precise amount of solvent must then be added to make up to the required concentration.
Errors can creep in if the importance of this initial step is underestimated or correct weighing protocols are neglected. Any errors or variability introduced during this first step may be carried downstream, for example, through dilution series. This will affect the rest of the analytical process and potentially lead to errors in the final results.
The potential effects of mistakes can be significant and result in:
- Work that needs to be repeated, with time and cost implications
- Delays in delivering data and results
- Wasted manpower and resources
- Additional substances, solvents and laboratory consumables used
- Out-of-specification (OOS) investigations are required, which can be disruptive from both a cost and time perspective
- Potential damage to a company's reputation
Automated gravimetric solution offers a resolution to the potential issues mentioned.