User-friendly and intuitive single and multi-channel instruments for the highest precision and solid compliance.
Single and dual channel portable pH meters that are robust and ergonomic. Perfectly suited for mobile pH applications in the laboratory, at-line and in the field.
High quality sensors covering a range of applications and measurement parameters including pH, ORP, conductivity, ion concentration and dissolved oxygen.
Calibration, verification and maintenance solutions to ensure high measurement precision and uptime.
Software and Automation solutions for higher productivity, more reliable results and solid compliance.
Peripherals to support your workflow - ergonomic electrode holder, magnetic stirrer, parameter expansion modules, printer, barcode reader and more.
Explore our Services - Tailored to Fit your Equipment
We support and service your measurement equipment through its entire life-cycle, from installation to preventive maintenance and calibration to equipment repair.
Support & Repair
Maintenance & Optimization
Calibration & Quality
Training & Consulting
What is a pH meter and how does it work?
Select your question:
- What is a pH meter?
- What are the benefits of using a pH meter compared to a pH indicator?
- How does a digital pH device work?
- What does a pH measurement system consist of?
- What are the different applications of a pH measurement instrument?
- How to choose the right pH meter for your application?
- Do METTLER TOLEDO's pH instruments support compliance?
- Does METTLER TOLEDO support installation qualification?
- Is it necessary to calibrate the pH meter? How to better perform a calibration?
- Should I use a single or multi-parameter pH meter?
- What is a conductivity meter used for?
- Do the pH devices support regional languages?
- How resistant are METTLER TOLEDO's pH meters against the spillage of water?
- Is it possible to obtain the data print-out directly from the instrument?
- Do the meters support automation?
- What are the different support options available?
- What optional accessories can I use along with my laboratory digital pH device?
1. What is a pH meter?
A pH meter is an scientific device used to measure the activity of hydrogen ions in a solution, which is then expressed as pH. Measuring pH is a widely applied technique in various fields and ranges from laboratory measurements to process applications. With our pH measuring devices, one can also measure other important parameters like Conductivity, Ion Concentration, ORP, and Dissolved Oxygen. This page showcases the types of laboratory pH meters and their applications.
2. What are the benefits of using a pH meter compared to a pH indicator?
There are mainly two systems to measure pH: pH indicators and pH meters. However, not all of them provide the same accuracy and quality level. A comparison between two widely used methods is shown below:
3. How does a digital pH device work?
A pH meter measures the potential differences between a reference electrode (like Calomel or Ag/AgCl) and a pH electrode (glass electrode). This difference between the two electrodes is related to the concentration of H+ ions in the solution. Therefore, the difference in potential corresponds to the acidity / pH of the solution.
4. What does a pH measurement system consist of?
The tools necessary for pH measurements are relatively uncomplicated and provide reliable measurements when used correctly. A typical pH meter requires two main tools:
5. What are the different applications of a pH measurement instrument?
They are used for a variety of applications across many sectors such as:
6. How to choose the right pH meter for your application?
It largely depends upon the type of application (field or laboratory). Based on the application and its needs, the meters are classified as:
7. Do METTLER TOLEDO's pH instruments support compliance?
8. Does METTLER TOLEDO support installation qualification?
Yes, we offer professional installation, qualification and calibration services. These services will guarantee accurate and precise measurements making the user worry-free when it comes to possible compliance issues during quality audits.
9. Is it necessary to calibrate the pH meter? How to better perform a calibration?
Yes, calibration helps in determining that the instrument is functioning correctly. Calibration is necessary to adjust the slope and offset of an electrode to their true values for the measuring system in question. With routine calibration of the instrument, one can confidently do the measurements.
pH meters are calibrated with appropriate laboratory calibration solutions of known pH. The frequency of calibration depends upon the frequency of the usage of the meter and applications. For details please refer to the following calibration video.
10. Should I use a single or multi-parameter pH meter?
This depends on the application. Dedicated single channel meters are used to measure one parameter at a given instance like:
c. Ion concentration
e. Dissolved oxygen
Whereas, multi-parameter instruments allow the measurement of more than one parameter at the same time. In addition, the instruments are available in different combinations. With these meters, it is possible to simultaneously measure for more than one parameter in the same sample.
11. What is a conductivity meter used for?
A conductivity meter measures the conductivity or amount of electrical conductance of a solution. Conductivity is an important parameter and has several applications in water analysis, food and beverage, electronics and pharmaceutical industries.
12. Do the pH devices support regional languages?
Yes, we have instruments that support 13 local languages. Selecting the right settings from the menu is intuitive because the instrument speaks your language. Currently, our instrument supports the English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Thai and Turkish languages.
13. How resistant are METTLER TOLEDO's pH meters against the spillage of water?
Our benchtop meters are built to last by withstanding spills on the housing and connections. This provides protection while allowing for easy cleaning with a damp cloth. Similarly, our portable meters are completely waterproof and made to withstand harsh and demanding field applications.
Digital pH meters
14. Is it possible to obtain the data print-out directly from the instruments?
Indeed, we have meters, which support the printing of results and other information to compact printers such as the RS-P25 or USB-P25.
15. Do METTLER TOLEDO meters support automation?
Yes, and this is a good option for increasing the productivity and efficiency in your lab. For further details, please click here.
16. What are the different support options available?
The METTLER TOLEDO pH Competence and Support Center (pH CSC) comprises of a team of experts in direct electrochemical analysis. Due to the team's close contact with customers, technical support, product management and product development, quick advice and effective solutions can be provided, making this service rather unique in the world of pH analysis.
The offered technical and applicative support encompasses the following measuring parameters and the related METTLER TOLEDO pH Lab equipment:
- Redox (ORP)
- Ion concentration (ISE)
- Dissolved oxygen (DO)
17. What optional accessories can I use along with my laboratory digital pH device?
The Following accessories can be used along with the pH meter to improve its function:
- Electrode arm (included with most bench meter kits)
- Magnetic stirrer
- Barcode reader