Weighing is the most accurate and easy-to-apply measuring method for drum, IBC or big-bag filling. A new guideline provides you with practical know-how to achieve the best gravimetric filling results.
Weight-based filling methods and how to optimize them are detailed in our free guideline “Successful Integration of Weighing for Fast and Accurate Filling.”
Weighing is typically the most accurate and reliable measuring method for filling, formulation, dosing and batching processes whether you work with liquids, solids or gas. It is also a highly sanitary and hygienic method that eliminates contact with stored substances to reduce cross-contamination risk and enhance operator safety. This can be a huge benefit in highly regulated industries such as pharmaceutical, food and chemical production.
Advantages of Fill-by-Weight
Filling by weight has many advantages compared to volumetric filling with flowmeters or other such devices, including accuracy, ease of calibration, and facilitation of statistical process control and traceability. A huge variety of materials are filled and a corresponding variety of fillers used; weighing is the one universal technology that can be used regardless of the material or container characteristics.
Weighing Technology for Accurate Filling
METTLER TOLEDO offers a comprehensive range of scales, balances, weigh modules and load cells with approvals for all globally relevant standards or guidelines that can be used for the gravimetric or weight-based filling of drums, IBCs, canisters, bottles, bags, big bags, boxes, vials, ampoules, syringes and capsules.
To support your efforts to create accurate filling applications, our scales, balances, weigh modules and load cells offer:
- Readabilities from 0.1 milligrams to 100 grams
- Capacities from a few grams up to 100 tons
- Fast weighing with update rates of up to 600 values per second
- Stabilization for filtered weigh results in a fraction of a second
- OIML, NTEP legal for trade approval standards
- ATEX, FM, IECEx approvals for hazardous areas
- Compliance with EHEDG and NSF hygienic design guidelines to avoid cross contamination and enable cleaning in place (CIP)
- Hardware for terminals, platforms and modules is available in carbon steel or hot-galvanized, AISI304 or AISI316 (1.4404) stainless steel
- Stainless-steel housings for terminals, scales and load cells with IP68/IP69K protection
- Connectivity via fieldbus or Industrial Ethernet with PLC Systems: PROFINET, PROFIBUS, EtherNet/IP, CC-Link, DeviceNet
- Connectivity with Ethernet TCP/IP to communicate with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) and Enterprise Resource Systems (ERP)
- Validation support and calibration for highly regulated industries such as pharmaceutical, chemical, cosmetics and food
Our Free Guide to Accurate Filling
METTLER TOLEDO, with its comprehensive range of globally-approved weighing solutions based on two different sensor technologies, can meet the challenge of just about any filling requirement. The guide explores the different technologies in use today, along with their advantages and disadvantages to help you improve the performance of your filling technology and weighing operations.