Jump to one of the following sections to explore and learn more:
- Gold Weighing Applications
- Gold Know-How
- Do You Need Support?
- The Daily Challenges of Weighing Gold - Plus METTLER TOLEDO Solutions
- METTLER TOLEDO Gold Scales
- Tips and Tricks to Avoid Errors When Weighing Gold
- Frequently Asked Questions
Accurate and reliable - smart features for trusted gold weighing
High readability for gold assays
All the basic functions you need for your daily gold weighing
High capacity for large items and bulk weighing
Compact and portable for weighing gold anywhere
With dedicated bullion weighing accessory for safe and easy loading/unloading of heavy gold bars
FAQ - Weighing Gold
Frequently Asked Questions on Weighing Gold:
Select your Question
- What balance readability do I need for weighing gold?
- During my gold weighing processes, it sometimes takes a while to get the weighing result. How can I get faster results?
- My density results are quite variable. Do you have any tips for measuring density accurately?
- What is the difference between carat in gold weighing and carat in diamond weighing?
- Is calibration needed when weighing gold?
- Do you have a gold scale with a large weighing platform?
- Can I connect my gold scale to our internal network?
- Which weighing units does my gold scale have?
- How do I clean my gold scale?
1. What balance readability do I need for weighing gold?
The requirements for weighing gold vary from country to country. Some countries specify a gold scale with readability of 3 decimal places (1 mg), whereas in other countries, it is 2 decimal places (10 mg). It is important to check local regulations prior to purchasing a new gold scale. METTLER TOLEDO can support you and offers a wide range of 2 and 3 decimal place gold scales.
2. During my gold weighing processes, it sometimes takes a while to get the weighing result. How can I get faster results?
When measuring the density of gold jewelry, it is important that the item is thoroughly wet and all air bubbles are removed. The air bubbles cause a buoyancy effect and can be removed using a fine brush. Make sure all items are at the same temperature: the scale, the apparatus, the water and the jewelry.
4. What is the difference between carat in gold weighing and carat in diamond weighing?
In relation to gold, carat, or karat, (k) is a measure of the purity of the gold. Pure gold is defined as 24 carat (24k). In relation to diamonds, carat (ct) is a unit of weight; 1 carat equals 200 milligrams. As carat is directly derived from the gram, it is a metric weighing unit. Some country-specific units used for weighing gold and silver (e.g. penny weight (dwt)) are non-metric units.
5. Is calibration needed when weighing gold?
When weighing gold, periodic calibration is necessary to ensure ongoing accurate and reliable results. Calibrating your gold weighing instrument will ensure that it reaches standards such as ISO, GMP/GMP, IFS and BRC. Documented calibration procedures verify the quality of measurements, and should be performed regularly throughout the balance’s lifetime. Calibration should not be confused with adjustment and must be repeated after adjustment/repairs.
6. Do you have a gold scale with a large weighing platform?
JET and JE gold scales have a large weighing platform so that items can be placed securely on the scale without falling off. METTLER TOLEDO's JP high capacity gold scale can takes loads of up to 16 kg or 32 kg.
7. Can I connect my gold scale to our internal network?
JET gold scales have 3 interface ports - USB host, USB device and RS232 - and are easy to connect to an internal network via the built-in PC Direct function. In addition, JET gold scales offer Bluetooth connection via the optional Bluetooth adapter.
8. Which weighing units does my gold scale have?
METTLER TOLEDO JET, JE and JL scales offer 16 weighing units: ct, g, mg, kg, pound, ounce, troy ounce, grain, penny weight, momme, mesghal, Hong Kong tael, Singapore tael, Taiwan tael, tola, and baht (units may be subject to country regulations). It is easy to change the weight unit at any time. You can even toggle between two selected weight units at the touch of a button.
9. How do I clean my gold scale?
METTLER TOLEDO gold scales are made from high-quality, resistant materials and can therefore be cleaned with a commercially available, mild cleaning agent and a damp cloth or soft paper tissue. Use common cleaning agents such as 70% ethanol or isopropanol, or mild detergents. The weighing pan and balance base are made of stainless steel that is robust and chemically resistant, with the exception that it is not compatible with strong acids. Acetone should not be used, even for highly sticky substances, as it is not compatible with plastic handles, glued parts or the screen.